- I shall repeatedly take Refuge, recollecting the qualities of the Three Jewels.
- I shall make daily offerings to the Three Jewels of all I eat, drink, or otherwise accept.
- I shall not forsake the Three Jewels, even at the risk of my life.
- Having taken Refuge in the Buddha, I shall not take refuge in lesser beings.
- Having taken Refuge in the Dharma, I shall not harm sentient beings.
- Having taken Refuge in the Sangha, I shall not rely on those with wrong or lesser views.
- I shall honor and respect the Buddha in every representation.
- I shall honor and respect all Dharma texts.
- I shall honor and respect the Sangha of the Bodhisattvas and the ordained.
- I shall not take life.
- I shall not take what is not given freely.
- I shall not engage in sensual misconduct.
- I shall not lie or speak harsh words.
- I shall avoid intoxication leading to heedlessness.
- I shall not rest on elevated seats and beds.
- I shall not eat improper foods at inopportune times.
- I shall avoid adornment and mindless entertainment.
Fundamental Bodhisattva Vows
- I shall awaken numberless beings.
- I shall end inexhaustible delusions.
- I shall open boundless Dharma gates.
- I shall become the Great Middle Way for the benefit of all.
Additional Bodhisattva Vows
- I shall not praise myself or denigrate others.
- I shall not withhold material aid, protection, and the Dharma from those in need.
- I shall not resent and punish the transgressions of others.
- I shall never abandon the Great Middle Way.
- I shall not usurp what belongs to the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.
- I shall not disrobe the ordained under my care.
- I shall not destroy the dwellings, property, or livelihood of others.
- I shall not hold wrong views regarding the Noble Truths, karma, rebirth, and emptiness.
- I shall not teach that which is beyond another’s capacity.
- I shall not undermine another’s faith.
- I shall not cause others to regret or abandon skillful vows.
- I shall not disparage the preparatory teachings of the Dharma.
- I shall not claim sublime attainments for myself.
- I shall not exploit the generosity of others.
- I shall not favor the lesser with gifts meant for the great.
- I shall not give up the Supreme Aspiration.
- I shall respect and serve my Root Teacher with body, speech, and mind.
- I shall respect and obey the precepts laid down by the Buddha and the Jonangpa Masters.
- I shall respect and support Vajra brothers and sisters.
- I shall cultivate certainty in Buddha Nature.
- I shall cultivate and sustain love for all sentient beings.
- I shall never abandon or exclude a single sentient being from my compassion.
- I shall study, reflect, and meditate on Other Emptiness.
- I shall prioritize spiritual practice, without distraction.
- I shall observe the fundamental daily[i], monthly[ii], and annual[iii]
- I shall avoid intimacy with those inimical to the Dharma, and seek their correction.
- I shall transmit only the authentic Great Middle Way, without fear or calculation.
- I shall transmit the teachings only after receiving explicit authorization.
- I shall sustain body and mind, without attachment or aversion.
- I shall never despise or refuse rebirth as long as sentient beings remain.
In short, I shall conduct myself in such a way as to sustain and increase the faith of the faithful and gladden the hearts of all sentient beings.